Thursday, January 16, 2020

Growth Mindset

Carol Dweck's idea of a growth mindset is an important one in today's scholastic landscape. When I was in middle school, I had little to nothing to do as the curriculum was in no way challenging as the school was the old high school and it was a big time of transition for our school district with fewer teachers and a hour after lunch for "studying." Because of this, I went into high school with no preparation as my time-management skills were lacking tremendously leading to a much harder than necessary first semester. The whole time I was going through this I was wondering how different things would have been had I been pushed harder in my three years of middle school. The idea of the "Not Yet," that Dweck proposed for grading would be a perfect balance to pushing students to maximize their learning. The "Not Yet," grade would not crush students but encourage them to work harder through the more difficult curriculum.

My old middle school - Alton Middle School 

2 comments:

  1. Similar to you, when I entered high school, the curriculum was in no way challenging or remotely engaging. I rarely had homework since I finished it early during class times, and didn't particularly study for any exams. That all changed when I enrolled in a pre-engineering program at my local vocational school. Courses were notably more difficult and homework was challenging. This is where I developed a growth mindset that allowed me to accept challenging coursework and continue to learn through overcoming adversity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brandon!

    I also had a similar experience as you once I entered high school. I remember trying to rush and do my homework right before class at lunch or after soccer practice in the mornings. If I had just put a little more effort in before than I would have been much more prepared but being lazy and using "Not Yet" caused me to not do as well as I could have.

    ReplyDelete