Sunday, January 26, 2020

Topic Brainstorm

The first topic that I am interested in is the legend of Robin Hood as I always loved the Disney movie growing up, even dressing as Robin Hood for Halloween as a third grader, and always was interested in the story. I do not have much knowledge of the formal legend, but am familiar with a good amount of the plot and most characters. I would like to learn more about the original Robin Hood myth as it's a story that I have only heard a retelling of so many times. As for stories for stories I would like to tell is potentially a retelling of the original Robin Hood story using the characters from Disney's adaptation. I have heard anecdotally that the Disney adaption was not necessarily accurate so I think that would be a unique way to retell this story. '
(Link: http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/myth-folklore-unit-ballads-of-robin-hood.html)

The second topic that I am interested in for this project is Dante's Inferno as I had heard about it towards the end of my time at private elementary school before switching over to public schools where we did not have an assigned Religion class. The only knowledge I have of this tale was that there were multiple levels to hell, where each level was represented by a deadly sin. I would like to learn more about what all of the levels specifically entail and what the protagonist experiences at each level as I know all of the "deadly sins," from my days in Religion class. I think an interesting way to retell this story would be to set it in a different era. Despite seeing in the UN-Textbook that there was previously done I first thought when I saw the topic to set it rather sometime in the 20th century, but I am undecided as there are many routes to go from there.
(Link: http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2017/07/project-idea-dante.html)

The third topic I find interesting is Blackbeard as it is again a character that I have heard about, yet never known what all they were actually famous or in his case infamous for doing. I only know of the character of Blackbeard as a mythical pirate from the days of pirates in Gulf of Mexico. I would like to learn about what all of Blackbeard's supposed exploits were when he terrorized the seas. Despite his terrifying status I think it would be a unique way to retell his story with Blackbeard being a current era captain of a ship either commercially or a fisherman for example. His exploits could then be adjusted to fit the theme for a fun take on his bloodthirsty legend.
(Link: http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2017/07/project-idea-blackbeard-pirate.html)

The last topic that I think would research for this project potentially is an urban legend/Native American legend from my hometown of Alton, IL. The story of the Piasa Bird was prominent growing up as every time we would drive into town we would pass by the cliff drawing by the Mississippi River. I know that the general premise of the story is that the Bird was attacking villages until it was slain by the Ouatoga tribe. As for stories I could tell, I would have a hard time adapting the legend to a different era/setting, but I think a good idea would be to make the legend more in-depth by adding characters and more of a plot line on top of the current legend.
(Link: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Piasa-bird)

The Native American Drawing of the Piasa Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment